Monday, May 27, 2013

To Read or Not to Read

Lately, I'm finding that I have a hard time reading books that I've been excited for, for a long time. Crazy, right? Here I am, anticipating this great book by an awesome author, then I get it and...

just...
can't...
read...
it.

Now, don't get me wrong. Once I do start reading it, I usually absolutely enjoy it. I devour the book and can't believe I had put off reading it for so long. So, what's the problem?

First, I think that lately, I have a hard time getting back into series that I haven't read in awhile. Maybe I got into a trilogy after book 2 came out, then read both books back-to-back before waiting a year for book 3. Once book 3 rolls around, I'm not in-the-moment like I was when I had read the first two. Somehow, I have a hard time getting back to that place where I was super excited to read about those characters. That may be due to the time it's been since I had read the others or the fact that I've read so many other books in between and the excitement for that particular series has ebbed in the mean time.

Second, sometimes, it's hard to read that final book in a series. A series that has been thrilling from the beginning is ending and that's sad. I want to hold onto the series a little longer, so I put off reading the ending. This is something I heard other people say in the past and I could never completely understand. How could you possibly wait to find out what happens?!

Yeah.

I guess I get that now.

Third, I know I've forgotten a lot about the lore, since it's been so long since I've read the earlier books, but I also know I don't have time to go back and read them. I don't want to go into the book not quite remembering what happened, but I also know I either (1) won't go back and read them because I have other books I'd rather read or (2) don't have time to go back and read them. My answer to the dilemma: put off reading the book...which really doesn't solve the problem at all. I know I'll read it eventually. Really, I'm just making the problem worse.

Does this happen to anyone else? What do you do?

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you feel!! My friends usually have to threaten me with spoilers for me to start reading some books hehe. I'm facing the same dilemma with Mockingjay. Guess reading problems are universal :D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, good. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this dilemma. Lately, I've been trying to tackle this issue, starting with Delirium by Lauren Oliver. This doesn't fit exactly what I was talking about in the post, because technically, I haven't started the series, but I've had the series FOREVER...and just kept putting off reading it for some reason. :(

    ReplyDelete