Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Weak vs. Strong: Katniss Everdeen

Katniss Everdeen is  the anti-Bella. She's exceedingly strong and independent. So much so, that she rarely shows any vulnerability. When she does reveal her vulnerability, it is often when she is alone, like she can't break down to other people. 

In my opinion, Katniss comes off as a little too strong. Don't get me wrong, I love her as a character. I think she's a great character and a good person for young people (and not-so-young people) to read about. However, she holds her emotions inside. She can't bare to let other people see any hint of weakness. Given her circumstances (particularly the Hunger Games themselves), this makes perfect sense. However, it doesn't give us a good well-rounded experience of Katniss.

I've heard readers say they love Katniss as a character, but they wouldn't think they'd ever be friends in real life. Now, that's not necessarily a criticism, but I think it can be. Katniss is so rough around the edges that readers don't think they'd be able to make a real connection to her if she was a real person. To me, this signifies a character that could benefit from allowing their vulnerable side to show more often.

What do you think? Should Katniss tear down some of her walls? Continue on as is? Or harden herself even more to become stronger?


panel management

No comments:

Post a Comment