Saturday, May 28, 2011

Recap: May 23-27

This week's YA Book of the Day selections:  

Die For Me by Amy Plum

My life had always been blissfully, wonderfully normal. But it only took one moment to change everything.

Suddenly, my sister, Georgia, and I were orphans. We put our lives into storage and moved to Paris to live with my grandparents. And I knew my shattered heart, my shattered life, would never feel normal again. Then I met Vincent.

Mysterious, sexy, and unnervingly charming, Vincent Delacroix appeared out of nowhere and swept me off my feet. Just like that, I was in danger of losing my heart all over again. But I was ready to let it happen.

Of course, nothing is ever that easy. Because Vincent is no normal human. He has a terrifying destiny, one that puts his life at risk every day. He also has enemies . . . immortal, murderous enemies who are determined to destroy him and all of his kind.

While I'm fighting to piece together the remnants of my life, can I risk putting my heart—as well as my life and my family's—in jeopardy for a chance at love?

Review: The best word to describe DIE FOR ME is unexpected. The setting, characters, & mythology pleasantly surprised me.

I recommend DIE FOR ME by Amy Plum to fans of romance/paranormal/fantasy.


Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr

To 17-year-old Leslie, the tattoo is a thing of indescribable beauty, a captivating mark that she must make her own. But this subtle web of eyes and wings brings with it a transformation that no sweet young girl would ever imagine or welcome. Like its predecessor, this stand-alone sequel toWicked Lovely plunges its youthful heroine into a faery world of almost constant peril. A tantalizing urban fantasy that won't let go.

Review: INK EXCHANGE by Melissa Marr is dark, twisted deliciousness. Sucked me in immediately & didn't let go till the end. 

I highly recommend INK EXCHANGE by Melissa Marr to fans of dark fiction. Bonus points if you like fantasy and/or faeries.


Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey

The undead can really screw up your senior year ...

Marrying a vampire definitely doesn’t fit into Jessica Packwood’s senior year “get-a-life” plan. But then a bizarre (and incredibly hot) new exchange student named Lucius Vladescu shows up, claiming that Jessica is a Romanian vampire princess by birth—and he’s her long-lost fiancé. Armed with newfound confidence and a copy of Growing Up Undead: A Teen Vampire’s Guide to Dating, Health, and Emotions, Jessica makes a dramatic transition from average American teenager to glam European vampire princess. But when a devious cheerleader sets her sights on Lucius, Jess finds herself fighting to win back her wayward prince, stop a global vampire war—and save Lucius’s soul from eternal destruction.


Review:  JESSICA'S GUIDE TO DATING ON THE DARK SIDE combines a coming of age story & romance, with dark vampire-ness.

I recommend JESSICA'S GUIDE TO DATING ON THE DARK SIDE by Beth Fantaskey to fans of romance, vampires, or books with a twist.


1984 by George Orwell

Portrays a terrifying vision of life in the future when a totalitarian government, considered a "Negative Utopia," watches over all citizens and directs all activities, becoming more powerful as time goes by.

Review:  Amazing. Read it.

I highly recommend 1984 by George Orwell to everyone. Go read it. If you've read it, read it again.


Fallen by Lauren Kate

There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.

Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce–and goes out of his way to make that very clear–she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her.


Review:  Distinctive elements, such as the reform school setting, bring new life to what would be a traditional romance.

I recommend FALLEN by Lauren Kate to fans of romance and paranormal (ie, angels). 

*Summaries provided by GoodReads

No comments:

Post a Comment