Thursday, December 15, 2011

Review: Silence by Becca Fitzpatrick

Title: Silence
Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (October 4, 2011)
Source: My Choice; Own


From GoodReads:

The noise between Patch and Nora is gone. They've overcome the secrets riddled in Patch's dark past...bridged two irreconcilable worlds...faced heart-wrenching tests of betrayal, loyalty and trust...and all for a love that will transcend the boundary between heaven and earth. Armed with nothing but their absolute faith in one another, Patch and Nora enter a desperate fight to stop a villain who holds the power to shatter everything they've worked for—and their love—forever.

I have been hooked on the Hush, Hush series from the very beginning. For that reason, I've been dying to get a chance to read Silence by Becca Fitzpatrick. I'll be honest. I had intentionally put it off for a little while because I know there's another book and I wanted to decrease the gap between books as much as possible. However, I'm so glad I couldn't keep my curiosity in check any longer. I loved Silence!

It probably would've been beneficial for me to reread Crescendo before starting Silence, but I don't exactly have extra time to reread books right now. I'm a little hazy on all the details of Crescendo, but I remembered enough to understand the story (though I do need to go back and straighten some things out). Overall, I'd say the storyline was pretty interesting in Silence. I'm always impressed by all the different takes on angels and angel mythology. Fitzpatrick's version has a different feel than many other angel books I've read (and I've read a LOT lately...keep your look out for all my angel book reviews). I'm never quite sure what's going to happen, which is a huge plus in my book.

Now, I'll get to the good stuff. Let's be honest here. If you like the Hush, Hush series, it's because you love Patch. The sexy, arrogant, infuriating fallen angel is irresistible. One minute, I think he's a jerk, the next minute I want him to make-out with Nora. It's a love-hate thing with emphasis on the love. The funny thing about this is that I sense Patch changing. He's still a sexy, mysterious guy in Silence, but he's not such a jerk. At least, not to Nora. In the other books, I never really got why Patch liked Nora. Because of this, I could never completely believe in his end of the relationship. After reading Silence, I totally believe in his feelings 100%. I may not understand why he likes Nora (don't get me wrong, I like her too, but he's a freaking fallen angel, for Tod's sake!), but I believe in it.

In Silence, Patch is...dare I say it...sweet. Not sweet in the bring-you-flowers-just-because kind of way, but in his own, Patch way. He clearly cares for Nora and I loved, loved, LOVED reading it! He can be a bad boy all he wants with everyone else, especially when protecting Nora, but he's completely sweet to her. What's even better? It didn't seem out of character at all. His character is changing in reaction to what's going on around him, including his feelings for Nora. For pulling off this transformation successfully, I have to give major props to Fitzpatrick. It's not an easy feat.

Overall, I highly recommend you go pick up a copy of Silence. If you didn't like Patch before, you might like him now...though it's up to you to get through the first two books to witness the transformation.

Final thoughts: Buy it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment