Thursday, December 22, 2011

Teaser Thursday: Stolen Away by Alyxandra Harvey

Title: Stolen Away
Author: Alyxandra Harvey
Publisher: Walker Children's (January 17, 2012)
Source: ATW ARC Tours

From GoodReads:

For seventeen years, Eloise Hart had no idea the world of Faery even existed. Now she has been abducted and trapped in the Rath of Lord Strahan, King of Faery. Strahan was only meant to rule for seven years, as Faery tradition dictates, and then give up his crown to another. But he won't comply, and now chaos threatens both worlds.

The only one who can break his stranglehold on the Faery court is his wife. . . Eloise's aunt Antonia. Using Eloise to lure Antonia, Strahan captures his wife, desperate to end the only threat to his reign. Now Eloise must become the rescuer. Together with her best friends Jo and Devin, she must forge alliances with other Fae, including a gorgeous protector named Lucas, and Strahan's mysterious son, Eldric-who may or may not betray them.


I chose to read Stolen Away by Alyxandra Harvey because the cover caught my attention and the summary sounded interesting. I was a little nervous I wouldn't get a chance to finish the book because I only had time to start it the day before I had to mail it to the next person. Lucky for me, Harvey's writing is what I can "quick reading." Regardless of the length, authors with this type of smooth, flowing writing that is unencumbered by miscellaneous description or too many intricate plot points allow the reader to flip quickly through the pages and finish the novel in one or two sittings.

When I started reading Stolen Away, I didn't realize that it was being told from two different perspectives. Usually, in today's YA market, when a book with a romantic element tells the story from two perspectives, it is from the couple's perspective. Stolen Away isn't. It's told from the two best friends perspectives.

I liked this for two reasons:

(1) We got two very different (but still very human) perspectives on the situation.

(2) Double the perspective, double the romance. :)

In my current romantic reading mood, I especially appreciated the additional romance. I won't spoil the romance characters for anyone who is interested in reading, but I will say that two very different romance pairings occur. Much happiness is had by all lovers of romance.

That said, this isn't a romance novel. If you're interested in reading Stolen Away for the fantasy element, I think you'd be satisfied too. Just keep in mind, that this isn't a super deep, intricate fantasy tale with an epic journey, blah blah blah. It's a short journey into the faerie world for a very specific purpose.

Overall, Stolen Away is a good quick read for people who enjoy fantasy with elements of romance.

Final thoughts:  Borrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment