Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Teaser Tuesday: Jessica Rules the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey

Title: Jessica Rules the Dark Side
Author: Beth Fantaskey
Publisher: Harcourt Children's Books (January 10, 2012)
Source: ATW Arc Tours

From GoodReads:

The highly anticipated sequel to Jessica’s Guide to Dating on the Dark Side.
It’s one thing to find out you’re a vampire princess. It’s a whole other thing to actually rule. Newly married Jessica Packwood is having a hard enough time feeling regal with her husband, Lucius, at her side. But when evidence in the murder of a powerful elder points to Lucius, sending him into solitary confinement, Jessica is suddenly on her own. Determined to clear her husband’s name, Jessica launches into a full-scale investigation, but hallucinations and nightmares of betrayal keep getting in her way. Jessica knows that with no blood to drink, Lucius’s time is running out. Can she figure out who the real killer is—and whom she can trust—before it’s too late?
I've been looking forward to reading Jessica Rules the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey ever since I first laid my hands on a copy of Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side. I very much enjoyed the first book with the plot twists, unusual teenage characters, and unpredictable romance. I read the story of Antanasia [aka Jessica] and Lucius' wedding on Fantaskey's website (which you should do before reading book two because it's awesome) and could not wait for Jessica Rules the Dark Side to come out.

I really enjoyed reading this book. Just like the first, it was a quick read with an unexpected plotline. While the plot was more straightforward than Fantaskey's other works, I didn't mind at all. I was able to predict certain elements ahead of time, but it didn't lessen my enjoyment of the book. Instead, I kept looking for more clues to verify my hypothesis.

Also, it's unusual to read about a married couple in YA (for obvious reasons). I liked having these atypical aspects included and appreciated the fact that Fantaskey didn't try to pull a love triangle out of nowhere. Antanasia and Lucius have struggles, sometimes even struggles with each other, but it isn't a matter of lack of love. Their romance is tender and sweet.

My favorite addition to Jessica Rules the Dark Side is the perspective of Mindy and Raniero. Having their POV added to the mix livened up the story and gave the readers a new romantic angle to work with. I can't honestly call their side plot a romance in the traditional sense, but there is some passion between this pair. Plus, the two characters are just plain interesting. I particularly enjoyed watching Raniero's transformation and Mindy's reaction, not only to Raniero, but to what she thought she always wanted.

If you've already read Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side, I recommend picking up Jessica Rules the Dark Side ASAP. If you haven't, what are you waiting for?

Final thoughts:  Borrow or buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment