Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Teaser Tuesday: If I Die by Rachel Vincent

Title: If I Die
Author: Rachel Vincent
Publisher: Harlequin (September 27, 2011)
Source: ARC Tour

If I Die by Rachel Vincent is the latest book in the Soul Screamers series, coming out next week. As many of you know, I've been absolutely dying to read this book ever since I started the series two months ago.

From GoodReads:

No one wants to be this teacher’s pet . . .

Everyone else is talking about Eastlake High’s gorgeous new math teacher, Mr. Beck, but Kaylee Cavanaugh has bigger things on her mind. Kaylee’s a banshee—her scream is a portent of death.

But the next scream might hit too close to home. Kaylee’s borrowed lifeline has almost run out.

Yeah—it’s a shock to her, too. So to distract herself from her own problems, Kaylee is determined to defend her school against the latest supernatural threat. That hot new teacher is really an incubus, who feeds from the desire of unsuspecting students. The only girls immune to his lure are Kaylee and Sabine, her boyfriend’s delinquent ex-girlfriend. Now the unlikely allies have to get rid of Mr. Beck…before he discovers they aren’t quite human either.

But Kaylee’s running out of time, and those who love her will do anything to save her life.

Anything. 

Oh. My. Tod. This book was amazing! Killer plot, new evil beings, complex relationships, and a literal life-or-death situation. I absolutely devoured it. And the ending....holy Tod, the ending. I did not expect what happened, yet it was completely fitting. I am so excited for the next installment of this series. 

One of the strengths of the Soul Screamers series is the cast of characters. There are a lot of them, and Rachel Vincent doesn't forget about them or make them disappear. She weaves them through each story, while also adding new ones for us to learn about. The complexity of several of these relationships was highlighted throughout If I Die. The challenges in each relationship made all the other events of the book more interesting.

I really appreciated that Avari wasn't the main bad guy in this book. Don't get me wrong, the hellion is a crazy good villain, but he's been the main one in the last few books and I was eager for a change or a new angle. While not out of the picture, If I Die wasn't focused on him. 

And Tod. *swoons* It's no secret that I'm in love with Tod, but man, I didn't think it was possible to love him even more.  If I Die totally does that. As with the previous books, his presence and page time has grown and I liked what I saw (read?). I won't give anything away, but let's just say Tod delivers all the snarky, quick-witted humor I needed, while still being the loyal, caring guy that he is.

Overall rating:  Buy the whole series.


No comments:

Post a Comment